Inspired by the stunning fall colors surrounding us? Discover how you can brighten up your landscape with autumnal foliage. From bright perennials, such as Rudbeckias, to bushes bursting with color, we have the details on all your Autumn-inspired plants below.
Perennials With Bright Fall Color
Your landscape can encapsulate the magic of autumn with bursts of red, purple, orange and more with these perennials.
- Rudbeckias (blackeyed susan’s) are hardy, easy to grow and offer 25 different varieties. Rudbeckias respond well to propagating in the fall. Be sure to maintain plenty of space between plants and water at soil level rather than from above.
- Autumn Fire Sedum is an improved form of ‘Autumn Joy Sedum’ that grows larger and longer. It grows bright rose-pink flowers. Autumn Fire, if left standing, can last into the winter and compliment your landscape after fall has come and gone. Come springtime, be sure to trim the plant back to the soil before new growth begins.
- Asters are daisy-like perennials with starry-shaped flower heads that range in color from white to deep purple. They bring a burst of color to the garden in late summer and well into autumn, when the rest of the garden may be fading. Asters prefer cooler climates with moist summers, especially cool nights, making them the perfect plant for a Maine autumn. Asters prefer sites with full sunlight and moist but well-drained soil.
- Eupatorium is a beautiful perennial blooming with deep pink blossoms in the late summer and early fall. Eupatorium is sturdy, tall and adored by butterflies.
- Cortaderia Selloana (Pampas grass) is a no brainer for your fall garden. Notoriously tough and self-sufficient, this showy perennial requires minimal attention while giving you stunning results. Pampas grass has silky, creamy-white plumes and grows well into winter.
- Euonymus alatus (Burning Bush) is a crowd favorite known for its bursting red color. Burning Bush will be the highlight of your landscape in the fall when its leaves turn a vibrant dark pink and birds will flock to a Burning Bush in the winter months.
- Red Majestic Corkscrew Hazelnut is a stunning shrub that will bring color to your garden year round. Red Majestic Corkscrew Hazelnut requires minimal maintenance making it the perfect addition to your home landscape.
- Rubus Odoratus (Purple Flowering Raspberry) is an ornamental shrub with bright purple flowers that bloom profusely in early summer and continue throughout the season, until they turn yellow in the late fall. This plant will require plenty of space away from other shrubs to grow to its fullest potential.
- Fothergilla (bottle brush) produces orange fall foliage and grows particularly well in Maine. This stunning shrub will be an aromatic and beautiful addition to your fall garden.
- Arnold Promise is a shrub that produces bright yellow, orange and red foliage in the fall as well as yellow blossoms in the springtime long before other plants have leaves. Be sure to plant in a full-sun location.
- Northern Gold Forsythia is a hardy shrub that produces foliage throughout the season and especially in the spring. Forsythia is a low-maintenance shrub and is naturally deer-resistant. Be sure to plant in a full-sunlight condition.
Autumn with AC Yard Services
Enjoy the magic of autumn in Maine with these colorful additions to your landscape! For questions about planting these additions to your lawn, feel free to reach out at acyardservices.com/contact. We’d be happy to help.